Even when gas prices reach an all time low we are always looking for a way to save even more. There is a lot more to fuel efficiency than meets the eye. It is not just about how much fuel the vehicle burns. Everything from curb weight to tires can affect the fuel efficiency. Use these tips and tricks to save even more!
• Avoid the dreaded empty tank – When your vehicle’s fuel tank is close to empty it is actually using more fuel since your vehicle is running less efficiently.
• Use all season tires or proper seasonal tires – When there is not snow on the ground be sure to swap to all-season tires as snow tires often weigh more.
• Check your tire pressure – Make sure your tires are properly inflated to the correct PSI. Poor tire pressure maintenance can cause your vehicle to work harder than it needs to, in turn using more fuel.
• Don’t idle for too long – If you plan on stopping for more than a few minutes shut your vehicle off. Idling gets the driver 0 miles to the gallon and in bigger vehicles use more fuel while idling than you would expect.
• Tire Rotation – Regular tire rotations will prevent unknown tire ware from ruining your day, and it will help save money on tires and gas!